[Dixielandjazz] Re: Band uniforms

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 29 16:14:10 PDT 2004

Dear John,
I think they might be "having a lend of you".
To tease, as we Aussies say.
You may recall a story I sent to you and the DJML in Jan 2000.
Here is is again for those who may have joined the list in the interim.
It is true. I know, as I was involved in a minor way.

In the late 1970s Noel Crow¹s Jazz Band had a one-off gig at the exclusive
Vahalla Country Club just outside Sydney. Given the club name it wasn't too
hard for Noel and the other band members to convince their drummer, the
fun-loving Ted Sly, that it was a nudist club.
As friends of the band, we were let in on the gag and all week encouraged
Ted in his enthusiastic anticipation.
Ted, who had a unique clear plastic drum kit at the time, arrived early for
the job to set up his drums and undressed in the car park. He walked boldly
naked through the main doors and into the club auditorium to find it packed
with fully clothed members. It was a family night!
Ted retreated, clutching the see-through kit, dressed and sat in his
car waiting for the rest of the band to arrive, with murder on his mind.
After a few hysterical laughs outside, the band walked in to play the job,
as though nothing had happened.
It seemed that he (and they) had go away with it until, about half way
through the night, a young child pointed to Ted on the stand and
called out, ³Isn¹t that the rude man who came in with no clothes on?²

Very kind regards,
Bill.