[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in the USA

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 29 10:47:46 PDT 2004

David Richoux <tubaman at batnet.com> wrote (polite snip)

> so here is something I don't understand (about this list and/or what we
> are all trying to do about the state of OKOM Jazz in the USA and the
> rest of the world.)
>
> The musicians and groups ... are mostly under 50 years old .... and are
> totally respectful (and dedicated
> to) the traditions, culture and music of the 20s thru early 50s...
>
> So why do we treat them like they have some sort of disease? Lack of
> Banjos and Tubas?  Too Loud? Too many matching suits?

Yes Dave, why indeed? Great question. Some possibilities:

Because they are commercially successful and most of us are not? Or because
they are young and most of us are not? Or because every day they disprove
our assertion that there is no market among the young for OKOM? Or simple
jealousy about something Not Invented Here? Or because most of us are, in
fact, not trying to improve the state of the music, since we could care less
about its future? Or because most of us haven't got the foggiest notion of
what is currently happening on the music scene? Or is it simple ignorance of
knowing what to do in order to accomplish our desires, resulting in the
negativity that pervades our generation and OKOM? OR????

> They have access our prime future audience. If we really expect to
> continue the traditions of OKOM into the 21st Century we need to work
> with them, not against (or ignore) them.

Hear, Hear.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone