[Dixielandjazz] Band uniforms

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Wed Sep 29 00:01:41 PDT 2004

Against my better judgement (greed prevailed) I've been hauled out of
retirement to play three gigs next Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday in
Birmingham, Derby and Roade respectively to help out a band whose regular
pianist has just undergone brain surgery.

When I asked the bandleader if I needed to wear anything special he enquired
if I had any Bermuda shorts, preferably flowery ones. My problem is that
although I do own such a garment I am not blessed with Bermuda-friendly legs
and have been warned that Birmingham audiences are likely to become quite
inflamed by the hapless spectacle which I would inevitably present.

I rejected Mary's suggestion that I wear a pair of her nurse's black
stockings fearing that the audience might jump to the wrong conclusion - it
is now too late to cancel so what can I do to extricate myself from this
awful predicament?

John Farrell