[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Trad" Jazz in the UK

Bill Horton williamhorton at peoplepc.com
Mon Sep 27 22:28:14 PDT 2004

Arnie Day wondered why there aren't OKOM bands popular across the US, as
there are in the UK, to which Tom Wiggins replied in part:

"In my opinion it is mostly because the so called Jazz societies secreted
away the genre of music into private organizations for years, which
contributed to the decline in attendance at nightclubs that had previously
presented the music.  The results was great dissipation of the places to
work and support the bands."

It's incredible that Tom, normally a sensible guy, could lay blame on jazz
societies for the decline in popularity of tradjazz!  I'm familiar with a
lot of jazz societies and none of them are at all elitist.  On the contrary,
they ALL work their buns off trying to widen interest in OKOM.

Isn't it more likely that the decline of interest is sort of inevitable-- an
evolutionary kind of thing.  I didn't like my dad's favorite music, he
didn't like his dad's favorite, and probably my grandpa didn't go for his
dad's, etc.  Despite my devoted efforts, my kids and their kids don't dig my
favorite music, either.  It's human nature.  Nobody's to blame, especially
not jazz societies.  Trad isn't the only wonderful thing that's practically
disappeared, either.  Consider wing windows on cars, and pitchers of draft
for 2 bucks!

Tom would also have us believe that jazz societies are somehow responsible
for decreased attendance at nightclubs where jazz used to be offered.  I
can't speak for the general population, but in my personal case, I don't go
to nightclubs as frequently as I used to for two reasons:  (1) I'm too old
to get wasted till 2 a.m. as I used to, and (2) intolerant
Healthier-Than-Thou bigots have  forced  nightclubs around here to become
no-smoking!  Tell me how the hell you can enjoy a Tanqueray martini (or
jazz) without a cigarette in your hand!

Hope to see a bunch of you DJMLers at the Pismo Jubilee By The Sea in late
October.

Bill Horton