[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Trad" Jazz in the UK

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:00:36 PDT 2004

Hi All,

Arnie asks:

>My question is, why is it so different in the USA, where it is hard to name
>even one New Orleans/Chicago/ Dixieland/ Trad (whatever one wants to call
>OKOM) which is well-known and plays all over the country, especially to
>packed audiences in the same theatres which "pack them in" with opera,
>rock, country music, Symphony Orchestras and Shakespeare companies?

Any thoughts?

Arnie . . .

If any of us knew the answer to that question we would be rich!  The ability
to determine what is gonna be "popular" and cause ba-zillions to flock to
the venues and buy recordings and pay $200 bucks for seats at the concerts
would be worth millions!

Having said that I will venture that in order to achieve that sort of
stardom you need to appeal to the LOWEST COMMON DENOMENATOR in the culture.
These days it's pretty low.

Audiences want to participate rather than listen. They want VOLUME. They
want youth. They want ATTITUDE! They want stuff that will offend anybody
over 30.  Pander to that sort of audience and you, too, can be a
millionaire!

How many of you think it was an accident that Justin Timberlake accidently
exposed Janet Jackson's right knocker on national TV?  Hah!  It wasn't an
"accident" . . . it was a "wardrobe malfunction." Yeah, right!  Permit me a
moment to get over the giggles here . . .

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com