[Dixielandjazz] Weather Bird

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Sep 27 17:32:10 PDT 2004

At 04:26 PM 9/27/2004 -0400, Don Ingle wrote:
>The Weatherbird that Louis and Fatha Hines did as a duet seems to be the
>Olive Weatehrbird Rag with Louis's interetation almost making it a while new
>suite with the bar breaks et al.

The tune was copyrighted by Armstrong in 1923 as "Weather Bird Rag" (this
from my copy of the lead sheet, which BTW has no chords). Oliver's record
did all sorts of stuff with it, but it's definitely Louis's tune. The duet
record follows the sheet virtually note-for-note, then takes off.

Oliver's version will be in "Dixieland Fake Book Vol. 2"; I'm still trying
to decide whether to include a copy of the copyright sheet (with the Oliver
chords), or transcribe the duet...

--Sheik