[Dixielandjazz] Attention Reed Players: Black Bottom Stomp Question

jazz_trombone at axint.net jazz_trombone at axint.net
Sun Sep 26 17:16:42 PDT 2004

In my band there is a reed player who can't or won't play clarinet. So he
pretty much plays 99.9% of our tunes on soprano sax. To me this is a wrong
sound, but I won't rehash that thread again. My question is this, we play
the Don Vappie transcription of Black Bottom Stomp. About measure 77 there
is a fairly lengthy lick which goes in the clarinet's lowest register. Now
my soprano player found out the hard way that the lick is way out reach
for the soprano sax(The lick goes down to D concert on the bass clef and
the soprano only goes to B flat concert on top of the bass clef) so he
says that he is going to try it on tenor sax. I, and others are opposed to
this because it is in the tenor sax lowest range and gets really honky
down there and just because it is out of character for the tune. Am I
correct about this? Have any of you guys ever experienced this? Can(heaven
forbid) this lick be played in character on tenor sax?

Mark