[Dixielandjazz] Candy Candido

Pam Munter pmunter at teleport.com
Sun Sep 26 13:13:08 PDT 2004

>Thanks so much for the wonderful info on Candy Candido.  I'm writing
>a book about an obscure Monogram film series that ran from 1946-48,
>starring The Teen Agers.  Since the star was former band singer
>Freddie Stewart, lots of excellent musicians appeared in these 8
>films.  Finding information about them (or the films, for that
>matter) has been a challenge.

Candido is featured in two of these films.  Band leaders who appeared
in the series included Gene Krupa, Charlie Barnett, Abe Lyman, Jerry
Wald, Spade Cooley (!), Russ Morgan, Jack McVey and Bobby Sherwood.
There was even a semgnet with the Cappy Barra Harmonica Boys, done
because Stewart used to sing with them.  Musicians made a good living
off those Monogram films.

In "Sarge Goes To College," there are two jam sessions in the film.
We see Wingy Manone (trumpet), Russ Morgan (trombone), Jess Stacy
(piano), Joe Venuti (violin), Jerry Wald (clarinet), Candido (bass)
and a very young Les Paul on guitar.  Amazing to warch.

I'd sure appreciate hearing from anyone who might have info on any of
these people, most especially on Freddie Stewart, himself.  The only
"star" coming out of those flms was Noel Neill, best known as the
original Lois Lane.  She's also the only one left standing.

-Pam