[Dixielandjazz] Emperor Norton's Hunch?

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sun Sep 26 10:43:59 PDT 2004

There is a very active campaign to name the new (still under
construction) Oakland to Yerba Buena Island portion of the Bay Bridge
the "Emperor Norton Bridge" - local newspaper cartoonist (and OKOM fan)
Phil Frank has been pushing it hard (
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/
09/22/BAFARLEY.DTL and the next few days. ) Also, a group of California
"Historians" known as "E Clampus Vitas" have also been working behind
the scene to finally officially recognize the Emperor's important
contribution to San Francisco and Bay Area history.

BTW, E Clampus Vitas has been around a bit longer than Jazz, but they
do sponsor performances of OKOM at both public and private events, and
many a jazz musician in Northern California (and other western states)
has played for them over the years...

(and I have pictures to prove it   ;-)

Dave Richoux