[Dixielandjazz] Emperor Norton's Hunch?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 25 13:27:24 PDT 2004

Good old Emperor Norton. Colorful character in CA (San Francisco-Oakland)
history. Hope all you Bay area resident's get over to Mills to see that show
even though it will be contemporary music. After all, the press release says
"guided improvisation . . . that can be interpreted by artists from any
discipline". You'll appreciate Turk Murphy's music even more. :-) VBG.

For more info on eccentric Norton, google search <Emperor Norton> You are
bound to learn more about why the left coast is a little dingy. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

>on 9/25/04 3:00 PM,  David Richoux <tubaman at batnet.com> wrote:

A press release from Mills College in Oakland came our way - I have
heard other things from Gino Robair and can assure you that this will
NOT be a Trad Jazz Concert ;-)

THE CENTER FOR CONTEMPORARY MUSIC (CCM) at MILLS COLLEGE presents:

Percussionist/composer GINO ROBAIR presents his improvisational
multimedia opera "I, NORTON" with the help of Mills musicians
and visual artists. Derived from the writings of Emperor Norton,
the score relies on guided improvisation using modular graphic
and conceptual notation that can be interpreted by artists from
any discipline. As a composer, Robair has worked in a variety of
media, from Shakespearean theater and Javanese gamelan to
modern dance and MTV. As a percussionist, he has recorded with
artists as diverse as Tom Waits, Lou Harrison, Anthony Braxton,
Otomo Yoshihide, Derek Bailey, and Terry Riley.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 27th
7:30 PM - Concert Hall
Admission: FREE

CCM Composer-in-Residence,