[Dixielandjazz] 14 Year Old Hungarian TPT Player

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Thu Sep 23 15:43:13 PDT 2004

Not sure exactly what you were referring to, Bob,

but I saw a 16 year old trumpeter (actually a fluglehorn) - the son of
Boban Makovic of Serbia at the Ashkenaz club in Berkeley last Sunday -
the whole Orkestar was there and is was a sold-out packed house, hot
show, everybody dancing to 17 beat-per-measure traditional Balkan brass
and having a great time. Who would have thought that a 12 piece brass
band could be treated like rock stars with audiences of 30,000+ all
over the world? I sure didn't!

Most of the music they played had traditional roots going back several
hundred years but the whole generation of Balkan Brass really got going
just before WW1. (For a side track into the mysterious roots of "brass
bands" in ancient Egypt & Israel, the Ottoman Empire and  Europe check
this site out:
http://www.franklondon.com/brotherhood.html    I am not quite sure of
his scholarship, but it is a fun read ;-)

Dave Richoux