[Dixielandjazz] FF+2 Is faster Better?

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Wed Sep 22 16:20:34 PDT 2004

On the subject of fast, faster and fastest, I think the most important thing
is to have variety of tempos, even including very fast occasionally.  By
very fast I quote as examples New Orleans clarinetist Jimmy Noone, playing
"I Know That You Know" or
"King Joe" These really cook along and are true art!   Of course Jimmy
played all tunes at all tempos.   So did the main guru of New Orleans
revival jazz - George Lewis.

I have heard it said that one should not play "faster than one can walk"
but I think this is balderdash.  Depends where one is playing - a parade; a
dance hall, a jazz club, a Company function (band to be  invisible to the
audience) a late night club; a football match, etc.  Different speeds for
different occasions and mix it up too.

I always enjoyed the FF + 2- even when they went a bit berserk!  All part of
their fun!   Ditto Spike Jones!

Regards,
Brian Towers,
Toronto