[Dixielandjazz] Freddie Green Solo - Beebe on Basie

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Mon Sep 20 17:27:10 PDT 2004

From: jazz_trombone at axint.net
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Freddie Green Solo

>   No he never did take a solo in the 40 years he was with Basie.
>   He played quarter-note strums for 40 years.

Hi folks, regarding Basie and his soloists,
Jim Beebe wrote this in his article, "Memories of Grover Mitchell":

[excerpt]
"...I felt then that Grover would become prominent in the jazz scene
somehow. I didn't hear anything of him for years until one day I picked up a
downbeat magazine and read that he had joined Basie's band. I was now a
professional jazzman working in Chicago and I went to see him when Basie
came to town. I was surprised to find that he was not playing any solos. He
was easily a better soloist than the guy who was soloing.

We had a good talk and tipped a few. I asked him why no solos and he sounded
a bit disgruntled about it. Grover said that if you come on the Basie's band
and have a decent tone, Basie will put you on lead and you won't get any
solos. (This "play lead/no solos" syndrome was common practice in big bands
though it never made any sense to me.)..." [Jim Beebe]