[Dixielandjazz] A Venue Suggestion

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 10:45:13 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/18/04 2:41:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time, patcooke at cox.net
writes:

> I remember playing for private parties where the audience was similar to
> what you mentioned.  Usually in a private home that was worth at least 5
> million or more.  The band was a very good band, all excellent players, and
> it was almost totally ignored by the guests.

Yes, of course there are always going to be these kind of gigs, for those who
work the Society Set, If any of you know them just ask Bobby Short or Peter
Duchin, who have made a fortune playing for those mostly inattentive folks.

I once played a gig at a mansion in San Francisco, which had spectacular
beautiful hand laid hardwood flooring in the area they asked the band to set up
and play.  I was concerned about scratching the mirror finish on the floors and
asked for an old rug or covering of some sort from the hostess to protect her
floor from the spikes on my drum kit.

She just looked at me like I was crazy and said dahhhling! just do your thing
and don't worry about it, I'll have the floor people come back Monday and
redo them, my husband has sooooooo much money, he'll never miss it anyway.

Yes, many of us have no doubt played a gig or three like that and some even
stranger.  And yes it paid very very well, and I got many very well paid gigs
from the other folks who were there that enjoyed the music and the band.  I
have no problem playing for Rich folks with deep pockets and long arms.  It's
those with deep pockets and short arms that I don't care to work for.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins