[Dixielandjazz] A Venue Suggestion - "ouch"

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Sat Sep 18 10:26:16 PDT 2004

From: "Chris Calabrese" <lists at jazzpiano.com>

Whoa--you got all that from "ouch"? Impressive piece of stereotyping. I
particularly enjoyed this passage:
[from Tom Wiggins]:
> In today's world most musicians and all stars just want to treat every gig
> as a walk on jam session for an hour or less and get paid well get free
> food, loose women and travel expenses get their ego massaged by
> being called all stars.

~ Chris

Yes, I know very well how Tom feels about "all-stars" since he knows how
much I love those "hour or less" jam sessions, and he's given me a hard time
about it for almost three years now. ;-)

I admit it: I love that I can sit and enjoy music that is of high quality
both technically and artistically. I see that "fire in the belly" in their
solos; I see creative wit at the mic; I see magic in the cohesiveness of
their ensemble work... Mostly, I see spontaneity--the essence of jazz--the
kind of spontaneity that does not come from rehearsing a "show" as a band
(though I love the bands, too, but for different reasons!).

That's what I see ON stage. Offstage, I see a lot of brilliant minds, some
who display it by telling jokes, others who display it intellectually in
conversation. Then there's what you DON'T see---the sacrifices made in order
to be a full-time musician. There's a lot of stress for a variety of
reasons: the constant travel and how it effects them physically plus how it
effects their home life (as parents, spouses, home owners, even pet owners);
the lack of job security from one month to the next; the uncertainty of
their future in this style of music, etc....

Here's a quote from Dan Barrett:

"...Jazz parties, by and large, feature professional, full-time musicians
exclusively--men and women who may have had other opportunities to earn a
living, but were ultimately swayed by the call of a hot cornet, or
something: jungle drums, maybe, or Bix's :In a Mist"... Who knows what makes
a person sacrifice the security of a good-paying day job, and endure demands
to "enter through the kitchen," take requests to play "Satin Doll" for the
zillionth time (or NOT to play "Satin Doll" for the zillionth time)? What
makes an otherwise intelligent person give up social status and benefits of,
say, a doctor or retail clerk, or postal carrier, or pro ball player, only
to have trouble getting a credit card (no proof of steady employment) or
qualify for a home loan? Something down deep causes those of us to think
none of that really matters compared with the chance to play..."

The "all-star" musicians have made a commitment to the music they love. They
know what they're doing and they do it very well, indeed (IMHO).   If some
folks have "issues" with the term "all-star" and choose to forego listening
to them, that's their prerogative, but I think they're missing a lot of
spontaneous, creative, inspiring music. To each his own.

Love and hugs,
Nancy, who is bracing for Tom's response (as he doesn't buy any of this)
;-)