[Dixielandjazz] Lasssus Trombone

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Sat Sep 18 09:09:32 PDT 2004

John Farrell writes on Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:47:22:

>>>If, as some believe, "Lassus" is a black dialectical contraction of
"Molasses" would somebody please explain the connection between that
sickly sweet treacly substance (which I spread on my kitchen walls to
trap flies) and the trombone?<<<

The following link and searching for "Lassus Trombone" composer Henry
Fillmore yields the following text, in part:

http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/2003journal/0303musicreviews.pdf

"His popularity was no doubt due in large part to the catchy, gimmicky
flavor of works like "The Trombone Family", a series of trombone solo
pieces (with band accompaniment) representing different members of a
fictional family. The most well known member of the family today is the
character piece entitled "Lassus Trombone", representing the family
butler."

Whether Lassus, the worthy family retainer is named for sticky food
stuffs may be a subject for deeper investigation into American dialect.

Regards,

Tom Duncan