[Dixielandjazz] not OKOM (or Dixie) but Wild!: Boban Markovic Orkestar

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 17 08:20:56 PDT 2004

DJMLers--
     I echo what Brother Richoux says. I just
bought their new CD, which is called _Boban I
Marko_ (Piranha CD-PIR1790, 2003;
www.piranha.de), which features the leader Boban
Markovic on flugelhorn and his son Marko Markovic
also on flugelhorn, and it's difficult for me to
think that a large part of the tunes and solos
aren't improvised, perhaps simultaneously
sometimes.
     This is my first CD of this Balkan band, but
for years i've been buying CDs of similar bands:
   Frank London's Klezmer Brass Allstars (with Austin tuba-player Mark Rubin)
   Fanfare Ciocarlia (gypsy brass band)
   Zlatne Uste Balkan Brass Band, _Golden Lips_ (no, not "Candy Lips")
   Fanfare Paysanne de Zece Prajini, _Music du monde_
   Sandy Lopicic Orkestrar, _Border Confusion_ (yes, i think it's jazz,
       with some great vocals by three women)
   Ivo Papasov and His Bulgarian Wedding Band (incredible clarinet solos,
       gotta be jazz, but very hard to find '1')
Of tangential interest is also the two-tuba group
called TubaTuba with Dave Bargeron (USA; used to
be with Blood, Sweat & Tears) and Michel Godard
(France), who play jazz-tuba duets and solos (i
have two of their CDs).
     Stretching one's ears by listening to other
types of jazz and other types of music is fun,
and every once in a while you run across a
recording that you like a lot, like (for me) the
_Border Confusion_ CD above.  I don't understand
a word they're singing, nor the cultural
references and history, but it don't matter
'cause underlying it all is human feeling that
well-conceived and well-executed music can echo
within you.

     Dan

--
**  Dan Augustine    Austin, Texas   ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu     **
**    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again.  Then  **