[Dixielandjazz] Missing Out on Current Bands

Janie McCue janie51 at socal.rr.com
Tue Sep 14 16:56:07 PDT 2004

 From RaeAnn:

"I've heard Jon-Erik Kellso and Duke Heitger, as well as the Independence
Hall JB, at numerous festivals out here on the West Coast.  Their music is
not unknown to a lot of us."

RaeAnn is correct; in fact, both Jon-Erik Kellso and Independence Hall JB
were both just at the Orange County Jazz Classic in August.

On the Ind. Hall JB "Louis: The Oliver Years," both Jon-Erik and Duke
Heitger are featured on trumpet.  I also have this CD, and it is excellent.
Purchased it after watching them perform many selections from this CD at
Sacramento in 2003.  Also picked up two of wonderful pianist Paul Asaro's
CDs that day.

Yes, I DO buy CDs from festivals or individual performances as often as
possible. It adds an extra dimension when listening to them later--you can
actually see the musicians in your mind, with all of their nuances.

There is also a great CD entitled  "Doc Cheatham / Nicholas Payton," which I
purchased from the Louisiana Music Factory.

Slight change of subject, but speaking of live performances--it has been
well-documented that the Orange County Jazz Festival will not be produced in
2005; perhaps never, due to declining attendance this year.  Attendance
figures from the Los Angeles Sweet'n'Hot haven't been published anywhere
that I've seen yet, but it has been noted that from all appearances
attendance there seemed down, also.

Any chance that whatever issues arose between the organizers of these two
festivals could be resolved so as to produce one spectacular festival that
would have a great chance of capturing the audiences in both areas?

Janie McCue Lynch
janie51 at socal.rr.com