[Dixielandjazz] OKOM, Jonathan Russell, Show Business & Jazz

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 14 08:08:19 PDT 2004

Just have to post these excerpts from a very long article about the Laurel's
Combined Driving Event last weekend, up the road 5 miles from my farm.
Written by one of the 110 competitors and posted on the Equestrian Carriage
Driving Chat List. (The two different bands were Barbone Street. Actually 3
bands. Trio in the morning, Septet in the afternoon, Quartet at night.
After two days of that, I be tired, but happy)

Horses, OKOM, Jonathan, Swing Dancers, what synergy.

YES, there is a "new" audience for the music out there.

For the Brits on the list. HRH Prince Philip started this sport in the 1940s
after WW 2. My how it has grown. European Jazz Bands might check out this
type of event there as a prospective venue. There are A BUNCH of them
throughout Europe including The World Championships every year. And the
folks who have enough money to compete, also have enough to pay well for
entertainment. Spectator draw in Europe is HUGE.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Everything about the event was just perfect. The hazards were artistic and
aesthetic masterpieces, the grounds in general were just glorious and such a
pleasure to be at for the weekend. The event has an almost audible buzz
about it - a lively and alive feel. Thousands of spectators. Two different
food vendors, one of which was really good - prime ribs and crab cakes. Two
different bands playing simultaneously during the weekend. A 9 year old jazz
violinist prodigy nailing some of the most difficult bridges in the genre."

"Different places to watch the event, each of which offered unparalleled
views of all seven hazards. Excellence in every imaginable category was
achieved by the organizers - even the Sunday cones lunch break
entertainment, which featured sword fights, a swing dancing exhibition,
incredible Coaching turnouts....the list goes on."