[Dixielandjazz] Baby Dodds was Bass players

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 16:24:36 PDT 2004

Brian said
>As a guide to how good bass players can sound - unamplified - even on
relatively primitively recorded sources try Pops Foster with the "This Is
Jazz" series on Jazzology. Baby Dodds on the same series is also an object
lesson - no ride cymbal - no hi hat but superb driving rhythm and wonderful
>press rolls.

Hi Brian - you and I agree about most things - but Baby did play ride, I'm
pretty sure on the Blesch recordings. The CD is in my car so I can't
immediately double check it. He certainly played ride on the Mutt Carey New
Yorkers session and on the Worlds Greatest Jazz Concert CDs on Jazzology
with Wild Bill, Brunies etc.  There is a clip of him doing so on my website
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/pge_dod2.htm
select Jazz Band Ball.

The drumming on the Blesch shows is a real lesson in how to play traditional
jazz percussion properly.

Steve said about an Oliver Recreation band
>Now, this is essentially a pick-up band, with an excellent modern jazz
drummer who is adapting. (our second call sub). CD theme is a celebration of
those few short years that Louis and Oliver spent in Chicago influencing
>each other

I'd be interested in hearing this. It is as difficult for a modern jazz
drummer to play old style as it would be for me to play modern. The
technique of playing the instrument is the same but the vocabulary is
different. Does he play press rolls, does he understand Baby's time (I doubt
it - nobody does) does he play a solid two or four (or a mixture) on the
bass drum (Baby did both), does he play rims and blocks and choke cymbals?

>From a personal point of view these things are essential components of
classic jazz. Then there will be the ensemble playing. I have not heard a
trombone player who can capture the phrasing of Dutrey. His trombone part is
different to others of his time. So does this band succeed in getting inside
Oliver's music or is it another pick-up band playing the tunes? Nothing
wrong with that and I am in no way denigrating the band as I have not heard
them, I'm just curious.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com