[Dixielandjazz] leaders and bass amps

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Sep 12 14:45:55 PDT 2004

At 04:49 PM 9/12/2004 +0100, john petters wrote:
>As for sound
>engineers, they are normally more concerned about the pa than the music.
>Worst case is when you have the knob twiddler. If a player plays quietly, he
>will turn it up to compress the sound level, then it feeds back. Other
>mortal sin is the soundie who turns your vocal mic off not realising you are
>going to sing another chorus.
>John Petters

So it behooves the leader to instruct the soundies that once the sound is
right, leave it alone--no twiddling; the band is basically accoustic and
will take care of dynamics itself. On several occasions at the Logan OH
Washboard Festival, I had to tell the soundies insistently what the balance
should be. They didn't have a clue...They didn't know where to put the
t-bone, banjo and piano, so they had 'em almost inaudible; I almost had to
fight to adjust Bob Ringwald so we could hear him...

--Sheik