[Dixielandjazz] Ride cymbals

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Sep 12 10:20:30 PDT 2004

At 01:21 AM 9/12/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>It sounds to me as if you are describing a "pick up band", that perhaps
>hasn't played together before. If not a throw together group then I wonder
>how they got the gig in the first place, as we usually have been hired
>because the group attracted  someone's attention.

Whether it's a "pick up band" is relevant to the discussion only because
the leader either isn't gonna worry about the sound of the band except if
something/somebody is drastically wrong, or he has more instructions to
give. Of course, he should have explained himself when he booked the musicians.

In Greater DC, there are a lot of corporate gigs, and they usually come
through booking agencies; the booker may or may not give them a sample of
the sound. 99% of the time the client couldn't care less about the musical
details, so they get what they get, and as long as the vibes are good, it
just doesn't matter.

>I've been playing professionally for over 40 years and I've NEVER had anyone
>tell me how to play, as I have been hired because I CAN play. My volume
>level is adjusted accordingly, that's all.
>Dave Hanson

Shoot, if you're concerned enough to adjust accordingly, maybe you're being
so right that no one has to say anything.

Not to put you on the spot, but do you ask in advance what kind of music
you're gonna play, eg 4/4 music or 2-beat music, etc.? Or object if the
leader tells you as some point?

Or if he tells you to start and stick with 2-beat, and not go into 4/4 on
the out chorus? Or always play 4 beats in the last measure?

What I'm getting from some of the other folks, rightly or wrongly, is that
they'd go so far as to be offended by such instructions.

--Sheik