[Dixielandjazz] Guitars and Dixieland

Arnold Day arnieday at optonline.net
Sat Sep 11 15:07:51 PDT 2004

Speaking of guitars, there is one kind of traditional (pre-bop) jazz which I
like but which is rarely heard in the USA. In Europe (and particularly
France), on the other hand, small-group swing derived form the Gypsy style
of Reinhardt/Grappelli is quite popular. They call it Jazz Manouche. You can
hear a sample of a group called (strangely) "Les Pommes De Ma Douche." Being
French it probably refers to some kind of odd sex!  Anyway, here it is:
http://www.artemia.fr/artiste-musique/lespommesdemadouche-jazzmanouche.php
(click on Sweet Georgia Brown")

There is even a festival of "Jazz Manouche" in the UK every year:
http://www.lespritmanouche.com       Fom what I am told by those who've
been, the attendees are generally quite young.

So what do you think......OKOM?  I certainly enjoy it and it's nice to see
something with a melody appealing to young listeners.
Arn