[Dixielandjazz] listening to OKOM is absolutely essential

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 01:06:36 PDT 2004

Steve said
Ha Ha, I knew you would come in on this one. Like you, I spend hours
listening to music. But, I no longer listen to the dead guys more than a few
hours a month.
I knew you would come back on my comments Steve - part of the sport!!!
Trouble is as far I'm concerned, most of the great music was played by guys
who are dead.

> I guarantee you most people on the DJML did not listen to Sandoval. Nor do
>they listen to Wynton Marsalis and the LCJB take on OKOM.

I've listened to Marsalis and other current players and find that by and
large they just do not grab me.

>But I have already learned all the lessons that
Johnny Dodds, Eddie Miller, Larry Shields, Leon Rappollo, Alphonse Picou,
Albert Nicholas, George Lewis, Sidney Bechet and all the others of that time
can teach me. I have heard enough from them in about 58 years of listening
to jazz

That I do find hard to believe. I have spent 35 years listening and
absorbing and still feel there is much to learn and enjoy.

> And yes, this is relatively simple music
Well if it is relatively simple to play King Oliver, why has it eluded every
band that has tried to play like him over the years. No one came near. On
the surface it is simple - but as Ken Colyer said it the inner rhythms.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com