[Dixielandjazz] Listening to Music

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 17:28:43 PDT 2004

Dear Bill & List mates:

Re-read Bill Haesler's post just in case I didn't "get it" the first time.
Loved the quote by his mate:

"Ben Webster taught  me everything I know, but he hasn't taught me
everything he knows."

But, upon reflection, think about what was said. The bloke is admitting that
he knows ONLY what Ben Webster taught him, and that Ben Webster did not
teach him everything Webster knew. How bloody sad, because what does that
make him?

A guy who plays like Ben Webster, except not as well.

How very sad to achieve that kind of mediocrity in music. How many more of
us like that are around, slowly destroying the music by subtracting from it?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone