[Dixielandjazz] Funny Gigs

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 13:39:57 PDT 2004

on 9/9/04 12:48 PM, Edgerton, Paul A at paul.edgerton at eds.com wrote:

> You wrote:
>> Memories like this are sad as well. What happened to the music,
>> the night clubs, the dancing, and the big spenders?
>

> And you gave all that up to be a lawyer???
>
> -- Paul

Hi Paul:

What I did not add was that by a decade later, 1962, the jazz world had
changed dramatically. Most places like that were gone. Jazz was no longer
played for dancing etc. Coleman Hawkins was working gigs 100 miles each way
from his pad for less money than I made in 5 minutes walking the bar that
night. How ever would a hack like me be able to make a go of it?

That's when I gave it up to sue the world. The best revenge is living well.

Cheers,
Steve