[Dixielandjazz] Ride cymbals

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu Sep 9 06:31:46 PDT 2004

At 12:44 PM 9/8/2004 -0400, TCASHWIGG at aol.com wrote:
Sheik Said:
>> Man after my on heart--I H-A-T-E ride cymbals...kept me from buying or
>> listening to much Nicksiland, even when rest of the music is great...
>>
>> I've asked DJML drummers over the years what purpose the rider serves, and
>> have never had the courtesy of a reply...
>>
>> One of my drummers came up with a workable compromise: he clipped a piece
>> of bicycle innertube to each rider, which cut out the hiss altogether,
>> leaving a short ring after each stroke that didn't interfere with hearing
>> what was happening on the bandstand...
>>

>Just clarify this issue a bit more:
>Dave are you speaking of a Ride Cymbal here or what we drummers call a
>Sizzler ?

Hi Tom. Ride cymbal. Don't get me started on the sizzler...an unspeakable
abomination.

>The ride cymbal is used by most of us to Drive the band,

That's something I've never understood--how can hissssssssssssssssssss
drive anything (except me nuts when I'm trying to communicate with folks on
the bandstand)?  I've got no problem with the hissssssssssss on the out
chorus of an excitement tune, because it raises the dynamic level. But
otherwise, it seems to me it's mostly wasted strokes--surely "whacking"
percussive brushes would drive more, by giving everyone a solid floor that
the rider doesn't provide.

Thanks.
--Sheik