[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz for the young / new / audience

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 07:13:12 PDT 2004

Hi Dan & List mates:

Pardon me if I smile a bit and think "I told you so". Yes, this music done
with an eye for the young is successful. Even in the cultural desert of mid
Texas.

No, one does not need to listen endlessly to OKOM in order to become a good
OKOM band. One needs only to be a jazz musician, (more than a musician who
also plays jazz) THIS IS RELATIVELY SIMPLE MUSIC

Preaching to the choir? Sure, but then the choir has sinners too.

Yep, this type of OKOM is well below the radar of most of us on the DJML.
Because we are old, uninterested, and content to bitch about youth since we
can't be there.

Meanwhile, those who do things instead of complaining, find that there is
indeed a young audience for OKOM. And that would be TRUE IN EVERY CITY IN
THE WORLD, if a jazz musician in that city wants to make it so.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone