[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz in Greece

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 8 16:07:33 PDT 2004

Dear Steve,
I can't help Bob with jazz in Greece, but was reminded of another Oz jazz
story.
A dear friend and jazz clarinet player, Graham Spedding, spend several years
playing in Britain and Europe during the 1970s.
(Graham was with the Graeme Bell All Stars for 4 years in the 1960s. He was
also the clt player in the 'banjo story' I posted the other day.)
While in Greece Graham worked up and down the country with a Greek dance
band.
The musicians in this group had a 'rule' on the stand that if someone came
into the dance hall while you were soloing, you gained one point. If anyone
left while you were soloing you lost one point. All carefully noted.
At the end of the gig the musician with the greatest number of points bought
Ouzo for the band.
One night, in Northern Greece, a drunk walked in during the trumpet player's
solo (plus one point ). After about 30 seconds he walked out (minus one
point). 30 seconds later, still during the trumpet solo, the drunk returned
and was sick all over the floor!
The band 'broke up' and couldn't play for laughing.
Very kind regards,
Bill.