[Dixielandjazz] RE: Kenny Davern, was Funky

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 15:04:46 PDT 2004

Steve said
> TIP: For those who meet Davern, don't ever disparage Pee Wee Russell in
front of him. You will suffer verbal abuse. In Kenny's younger days it would
have included physical abuse. Kenny is among those, me included, who view
>Pee Wee as a monster communicator via the axe as well as "Funky".

I was discussing Pee Wee with Kenny on the way to a gig years ago and
mentioned that Wild Bill didn't rate him. He told me that he had fallen out
with Bill over that for a while. Bill preferred Ed Hall.
Pee Wee is something else. I also remember Kenny being asked for Pee Wee's
Blues. (he was always being asked for tunes associated with other
clarinettists, to which his reply would be, I'm not George Lewis, I'm not
Benny Goodman, I'm not Artie Shaw. He was intrigued at the request for this
somewhat obscure number and played it - in Davern style. He asked the
requestee why he wanted to hear it. The reply was that he had heard Andre
Beeson (a fine British clarinettist) play it the week before. Kenny said
that was a good reason, then blew a chorus in Pee Wee style. A great player.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com