[Dixielandjazz] Re: Why Most Music Critics Don't Like OKOM

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 12:07:23 PDT 2004

barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> I believe the original USA definition of funky music was applied to "bluesy
> jazz. Mean, low down, depressed blues. originated probably by 1920 but I
> don't know for sure about the date. When explaining "funky", US Dictionaries
> refer to one meaning as "funky jazz" and go on to state: "Jazz having an
> earthly quality or style derived from early blues or gospel music."  but do
> not explain it further.

I learned a long time ago that if you don't FEEL it you probably can't Play
it, you can't write that on a chart, if you want to learn how to play it and
feel it you have to go where it came from and listen and watch it, it is very
visual.  Go to some old style Black Holiness churches and pay attention.  Most
white folks have to go back many times to "GET IT."

The swing in Early Jazz I believe came from the Black American musicians who
came first from the Black Gospel Churches, and then mixed with the Black Blues
players who then gave ideas to guys like Armstrong and Bolden and Bechet to
mix the feel with the syncopation, that was already in existence in Rag time
and vaudeville, then smoothed it out a bit and invented the first versions of
SMOOTH JAZZ so to speak.  It kept progressing to faster and hotter styles as
they kept experimenting and improvising it.  These guys were playing what they
FELT not charts for the most part for certain.

I have always found that Black Musicians play Blues and Jazz in a more laid
back easy going style which is the characteristic of Early New Orleans music,
many Black musicians did then and still do today however often play the same
music in two distinctively different styles.  One for Black audiences and
another for White.

White players have, as far back as I can recall, always been technically
orientated and consistently put more notes into the music and play it faster and
louder to try and overcompensate for not being able to FEEL IT like most Black
players do instinctively.

I also believe that artists like Count Basie, and Fats Domino became POP
icons of their day by playing this style of Black Music for White audiences who
they found willing to embrace it and buy it because it did not sound so BLACK
like all those Race records.  This was further emphasized by the audiences they
drew to hear them, Predominately White everywhere they went unless they played
in the Black community, to a smaller audience usually because the Black
communities thought they had sold out to the White man with their music and did not
support them like they did other Black artists who remained in poor
communities almost exclusively.

It was a smoothed out version of the Black sound and therefore considered to
be much more civilized, the same musical ideas remained in tact for many years
to come and still do so today to a certain degree.  We had groups like the
Fifth Dimension, The Platters, The Coasters, The Mills Brothers, Smokey Robinson
& The Miracles, The Supremes, and the whole Motown movement, created by Berry
Gordy, to market Black music to White audiences where the Money was.

This is exactly the same thing that Elvis Presley saw when he started to
develop his STYLE of Rock & Roll, he went down to New Orleans and listened and
learned licks form the Black players and took them back to Memphis and
interspersed them with the Blues up there and mixed in White Country music to form his
own unique style that was quickly embraced by White audiences.  In his early
stages however we must remember that he met with considerable resistance from
the "Media" ALA ED SULLIVAN, who was the voice of pop America.

The same was admitted by Hank Williams in American Country Music, who went to
New Orleans as well to listen to the Black Blues and Creole and Cajun bands
which greatly influenced his writing and performance styles, changing Country
Music's entire direction.

This brings me back to a former post of John Petters saying that it ain't
Traditional Jazz.
These elements of evolution of Traditional Jazz prove otherwise, it evolved
into different styles over time and form improvisational creative musicians
daring to jump off the stage and walk away from the chart and Play whatever they
"FELT" musically.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins