[Dixielandjazz] Technique & Soul/Creativity

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 01:50:28 PDT 2004

Steve said
>Same for Kenny Davern in OKOM. Regardless of
how one feels individually about their music, they all, have 100% technique
and as I hear it, 100% soul/creativity.

Perfect example is Davern's response to a fan who gushed, "it must be a
wonderful thing to have been blessed with the gift of all that talent".
Replied Davern, "Yeah, that plus a million hours of practice."

Unless one is unique (and there are a few ;-) VBG) the player gets out of
jazz exactly what he/she puts into it by way of paying dues.

Like the answer to the tourist visiting NYC who asked a jazz man: "Can you
tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?"

>"Yeah, practice man, practice." :-) VBG.

Totally agree
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com