[Dixielandjazz] RE: Why Most Music Critics Don't Like OKOM

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 00:40:34 PDT 2004

Steve said
>My goodness, John "funky" is a US jazzers word applied to swinging jazz
with
a beat. LONG before R & R was invented. You must be too young to remember us
old folks playing funky jazz in funky butt hall in funky New Orleans. If
your first memory is of the R & R folks using it, then please be aware that
>they stole it from us.

What do you mean by a funky beat? Funky over here means rock (not
Rock'n'roll). Was Louis Armstrong funky? Or Sid Catlett. If so I'll take
funky, but I won't take the current version of it as understood over here.

> What is "The traditional way'? What style within OKOM shall we freeze and
call "traditional"? In drumming, Baby Dodds? Then what about Sparbaro? We
all love to quote Ellington's "It don't mean a thing" etc., but he evolved
later and was never traditional in any sense of the word. And as you know,
>much "traditional" jazz both then and now does not swing.

I'm not suggesting that we freeze any style. What I am saying is there is
room for creativity within New Orleans Revival style, ala Bunk etc, Swing
Style ...Goodman, etc, Dixieland...Spanier etc. Bands do that without moving
outside the style. A good example of an original stylist is Kenny Davern,
who always sounds like Kenny Davern, He survives playing the broadly
traditional style. So there is room for innovation originality etc. And yes,
much music in traditional field around these days does not swing and that is
because the people playing it have not studied.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com