[Dixielandjazz] Why Most Music Critics Don't Like OKOM

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 22:04:45 PDT 2004

Steve and all:

The primary reason that most Media Crtitics don't like OKOM is very simple.

They Don't even know what the Hell it is, most of them don't even know who
the Beatles or Elvis Presley are, for God's Sake.

The four hundred folks on this list are probably the only people left on
earth who know what the heck OKOM is or even care.

The young generation of young jazz singers are searching desperately for
something new, and where do they have to go but backwards to discover something so
old that it is new.

When Jazz took a decided turn towards the perpetually avant garde it left
behind the OKOM exposure necessary to educate and stimulate future generations,
(mine included) so we grew up on rock and roll and bebop and discovered Blues
in college and R&B at the dance parties.  What Dixieland?? Traditional Jazz was
Stan Kenton, Ramsey Lewis, Vince Guaraldi, Miles Davis, Cal Tjader, Cecil
Taylor, Ornette Coleman etc.  There simply was no Jazz before that as far as we
were ever taught or exposed to on the radio.  Oh maybe a Dorsey Tune crept into
the scene once in a while.  I can remember my utter delight at discovering
Harry James, AL Hirt, Pete Fountain, Ray Charles, Count Basie, and yes Duke
Ellington, Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, Sarah Vaughn, long after they were
old men and women.  Or worse Dead.

These new kids have no place to pay their dues, like we did, remember, the
joints are all closed and gone.  They are too young to have ever lived enough
life to FEEL a Billie Holiday tune or a Dinah Washington tune.

Norah Jones is the daughter of an Indian Immigrant Sitar Player, Ravi Shankar
who I remember from the sixties being embraced by the Hippies in San
Francisco and the jazz literati of Berkeley.  Obviously he exposed his daughter to
some pretty good music to allow her to develop her style, ( like it or not) it
catapulted her to popular stardom and gave another new voice to jazz vocals to
ride the crest with Diana Krall.   At least they have melodies.

They may not be our kind of jazz, but they both speak volumes to the new jazz
generation that we are not reaching, so whose fault is that?

As to Rock Rhythms and Latin wastelands as they were called by listmate John
Petters, try to do it sometime and see if it is as simple as it seems, those
Latin wastelands have so many counter rhythms going at once that it is
frightening.  I have been fortunate enought o play concerts and on festivals with some
of the great ones and I assure you they swing their asses off.

Don't take my word for it go see Michael Camillo with his trio, he gives new
meaning to the word swing.  Tata Guiness from Cuba at about 85 years old does
more with his hands on a set of congas than most Jazz drummers do with a whole
kit.

I think many of us on the list simply live in too small a musical world to
broaden our horizons and insist upon dying with the style rather than embrace
the present here and now and compete on a level playing field.

This music can compete on that field folks, but more of us have to get off
our butts and take it to the field before everybody else forgets it exists.
They are all too busy doing their own thing or searching for their own thing to
pay any attention to this music.

So If I have to put it to a rock or Latin Beat to get their attention so be
it, I have a very funky rendition of Summertime that gets airplay all over
Europe and is always requested at our concerts, and I guarantee you we can also
play it as a ballad and make it swing just as good as anybody else can.  The
difference is about 5000 people who paid $30.00 to get into the event Vs  50 in
the audience at an OKOM event who paid $5.00 to get in.

"The only good critic is a Dead Critic"

We don't need critics we need reviewers with a positive attitude to encourage
musicians and young singers to keep trying and get better at their craft.

If you want to train your dog to do tricks, you reward him with treats for
doing it right or close to right, he eventually masters the trick and you and
the dog are both happy, keep kicking him when he does not do it right and
eventually he will bite your ass, or give up and run away.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins