[Dixielandjazz] Charts learning and records

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 16:53:32 PDT 2004

Brian said
>Larry wrote - How else can future generations, and I include myself in that
group, learn the tunes and licks and play them in the style?

>Records man - records

You can't learn how to play Dixieland jazz from arrangements. You can't
write this music down accurately. Brian is correct. Records and the older
the better, are the prime source. From the likes of the Olivers, Hot Fives,
Mortons, Bobcats, etc you will get the sound into your head and with enough
listening and enough practice, you may even get close to approximating the
feel of this very special music. As far as learning licks is concerned, slow
the music down and learn the licks and play them until you can execute each
with ease and with good time. I taught myself the Krupa solo in Drummin' Man
by slowing down the 78 to 33/1/3 and working it out in slow motion. I play
Drummin' Man in my Swinging Down Memory Lane Show - but I do not play Gene's
solo, rather I have taken it as my launch pad. For the curious it is on the
website at
www.traditional-jazz.com/sound/drummin'man.mp3

It doesn't matter which instrument you play, you can use the same approach.
Also set your sites high, and keep striving for improvement. Art Hodes told
me he wanted to play and record at the age of 85 because he still had
something to say. When asked why he was still playing at his age he said,
"Because I have to". Do many musicians to day have that commitment?
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com

Larry wrote - How else can future generations, and I include myself in that
group, learn the tunes and licks and play them in the style?

Records man - records

Brian Harvey