[Dixielandjazz] Mutes

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Sep 5 17:44:27 PDT 2004

Well, I must disagree back at you. Your wrote:
> I think the reason is that we
have different perspectives on the music, and clearly different tastes in
dixieland. To me, his main interest is the solos.<
In fact, as I stated "The best thing you can do is get a good, honest .sound
on your horn."
Think about the better trumpet/cornet players -- they used mutes sparingly.
Butterfield, James, Bob Barnard, Louis, the list goes on. Berrigan had the
fattest sound around in his time -- open horn. Mt main infterest if the
honest sound of the instrument for its own sake. Ensemble work, written
charts, etc., can be a good place to use mutes, and sparingly for solos and
I still say use sparingly. Too much and the impact is watered down. Four
hoursof Clyde McCoy and Henry Busse sound alikes not my cup of single malt.
Oh well, what is this list for if not to have some open expressions of
differences without getting warped out of shape over it. I was asked my
opinion about mutes and I gave it. It is my opinion only, you have your own.
But my motive for what I replied is my opinion and  I stand by it.
Meanwhile -- off to Minna-Soda...a week among the Swedes.
Don Ingle