FW: [Dixielandjazz] Improvisation - revised

Mark Bauer jazz_trombone at axint.net
Sun Sep 5 13:14:12 PDT 2004

It's a matter of opinion really. There are so many facets to
improvisation. Louis Armstrong wasn't just an improviser he was an
inventer of modern jazz improvization language. I don't think you can
even say that Louis or Wynton are x percent of this or x percent of
that. They are at such a higher level of playing (understanding
actually) than you or I are or will be. Louis was doing things in his
improvisations that would be copied by the swingers(he invented that
too) and the boppers many years after he did them.

Wynton has studied the masters and modeled his style after the big
trumpet names of the day. I really like his lectures on jazz history.
He's a neo-traditionalist and proud. Ya gotta love 'em both.

--
"The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being
said."