[Dixielandjazz] Saturday at Sweet & Hot

Ken Gates keng at iswest.com
Sun Sep 5 10:21:20 PDT 2004

Earlybirds gathered for Fulton Street.  Even at 10:30 in the morning
they were cookin'.  Rhythm section has jelled nicely with fairly recent
bass and guitar additions.  Melissa Collard is getting around very nicely
on the guitar, and she sings very well indeed.  Lots of versatility with
this group----Gary Reynolds on slide and valve trombone and adding
the vibes---and Paul Edgerton played a terrific flute solo, in addition to
the clarinet and tenor sax.  Great start for a superb day at the Marriott.

Next were Allan Vache, Randy Reinhart, Howard Alden, Johnny Varro,
Dave Stone.  Some of the very best.  Need I say more?

It's only 1:00 --- but here are Tommy Saunders and most of the Mid-west
all-stars---Chuck Hedges, Jim Galloway, Russ Phillips, Eddie Higgins----
Isla Eckinger and Dick Shanahan completed the rhythm section.
Some of the very best again.  What more can I say?

A pleasant surprize was next.  "Composers Corner" --- where selected
performers did their own compositions.  Who showed up?  Dan Barrett
and Rebecca Kilgore, Pat Yankee, Roger Neumann, and others.  A very
pleasant hour indeed.

Now for a little strolling and listening in.  Hal Smith, Anita Thomas, Katie
Kavera, Reynolds brothers, Dan Levinson, Bob Draga, all playing great.

Then an entertaining (and fine music as well)  hour with Rebecca,
Eddie Erickson, Dan Barrett, and Joel Forbes (B.E.D).
 Top notch act for sure.

And now for the grand event for me---a wannabe clarinet player.  Chuck
Hedges, Bobby Gordon, Allan Vache, and Bob Draga----backed by
John Sheridan, Richard Simon, and Dick Shanahan.  Can it get better
than this?  I don't think so.  I suppose there must be competitive juices
flowing in this kind of setup.  But I've learned how to enjoy this.  I just
listen without any evaluation or comparing who does what.  I know that
all will provide imaginative interpretation of what tune is chosen.  Whether
a simple tune like "Indiana" or a complex tune like "Body and Soul" ---
wonderful notes will cascade through the air.  Absolutely wonderful.
And when Allan Vache and Bobby Gordon teamed up on a duet,  I
thought it very classy of Allan to mention that his seeing the first live
performance of a great clarinetist--Allan was 13 at the time---was
Bobby Gordon.

A great day at the Sweet and Hot----thank you Wally Holmes and all
his helpers.

Ken Gates