[Dixielandjazz] Are charts good for audiences? (Was Dixieland)

Dave at Creolejazz.com dave at creolejazz.com
Sat Sep 4 20:12:52 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Marois" <Mike.Marois at HireLiveMusic.com>
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] Are charts good for audiences? (Was Dixieland)

> Hey All;
>
> I'd have to say in the Dixieland Jazz Genre there's no place for charts
> at a live performance.  The last thing a footstomper wants to see is a
> group of guys up on a stage reading charts on stage.  The Original Dukes
> of Dixieland didn't use music up on the stage.  The charts were used and
> learned in rehearsals not performances.  I was just watching some Ed
> Sullivan clips and the Dukes were actually choreographed.  It wasn't
> obvious, but the movements and the hitting of predetermined marks made
> the segments interesting.  From my personal experiences, I find it
> beneficial to learn the music before the performances freeing me up to
> have fun on stage while performing.  I find getting the audience
> involved by getting them to clap in rhythm under a front line chorus
> sans the rhythm section is a nice touch. I couldn't imagine pulling that
> off if my head was buried in music.  With my group, the REAL Dukes, I
> send CD's of the Original Dukes material and we jot down road maps of
> the tunes.  We also rehearse before the gig.
>
> Mike Marois

I agree with Mike. There's nothing like seeing a hot band on stage not
dependent on music. However, my guess is that most bands will have members
who don't have the time to "do it right", if you will, and, therefore, make
reading music on stage a necessity. Of course, the term "music" will mean
different things to different people. We use the approach that I believe
many groups do. We've got music that, in almost all cases, is just a chord
chart and/or road map of the tune punctuated with short arranged soli
phrases (usually just an intro or an ending) that give the band that
somewhat polished (and rehearsed) sound.

We played the Bix fest in July and every band there had "music", in one form
or another, on stage with them. To be honest, I was a little surprised. I
knew we would need our little road maps but thought we would be in the
minority. I was pleased to see that we were doing just what everyone else
was doing -- using music on stage to give the band that bit of confidence
and polished, rehearsed sound.

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band