[Dixielandjazz] Gerald Wilson

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 4 14:10:41 PDT 2004

Hi folks,

I just heard a wonderful live interview at the Jazz Talk stage (at the Ford Detroit Jazz Festival) with trumpet player Gerald Wilson.  Wilson was a composer/arranger and instrumentalist with the Jimmie Lunceford band.  He also went on to lead his own big band and was also associated with the Count Basie Orchestra.  If anyone is in the Detroit area on Monday afternoon, he will be performing with his own orchestra on the main stage.  He won't be re-hashing his old arrangements, however, but recent arrangements and compositions (which will have a distinctly more modern feel but still retain his unique use of altered chords which gives his work a haunting quality--same as it did for the Lunceford band way back when).  He also has a new CD out featuring pianist Kenny Barron and James Moody.

I also caught the Hot Club of Detroit (winners of the Heineken contest that I posted last week).  They are really fantastic (clarinet and accordion players are exceptional).  I'm sure you'll be hearing more from this group of guys who are in their twenties.  They had a very enthusiastic packed crowd as well.

All for now,
Rob McCallum