[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Club Demise

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sat Sep 4 12:45:23 PDT 2004

Yesterday I called a friend of mine who plays really nice Dixie cornet for a gig.  He has been playing for months at the "City Saloon" in Columbia Illinois.  It is a small town just on the other side of the Mississippi river from South St. Louis County.  Traditionally there have been a lot of dance halls / ballrooms / clubs in the small towns on the other side of the river with live music.  There are still several active "ballrooms" there that have big bands.  The Crystal Palace in Staunton Illinois springs to mind.

They featured music seven days a week.  Traditional jazz groups one night a week, jazz, swing, rock and country on other nights.  They also had a DJ on the other nights.  The club is attached to a bowling alley.  The new owner has converted it to a sports bar and cut all music out.

I always knew there was a reason I didn't like sports.

Looking on the bright side at least they fired the DJ too.