[Dixielandjazz] Re: Eddie Condon

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 3 22:36:34 PDT 2004

DJMLers please note: The following contains discographal information and is
not for the faint-hearted.
Delete now.

Dear Guus,
As promised here is what information I have regarding the Eddie Condon LPs
you asked about.

Jazzology JCE J-61
My friend Phil O'Rourke has now answered this.
Wild Bill Davison - Jim Beebe - Barney Bigard - Art Hodes - Eddie Condon -
Rail Wilson - Hillard Brown. High Point, North Carolina, fall 1971.
Now on Jazzology JCD-62

Philips B 07023 L
I have already answered this in an earlier email to you.
'Jam Session Coast-To-Coast'.
Eddie Condon's All Stars.  New York, 24 Nov 1953.
Rampart Street Paraders. Los Angeles 23 Oct 1953.
Now on Mosaic 5CD set 'Complete CBS Recordings Of Eddie Condon And His All
Stars'. MD5-152 (which I have). Now sold out, but still available on a
Mosaic LP set MQ7-152.

Design Records  DLP  47
I have this LP on Gala GLP 342.
Eddie Condon and his All Stars  'Confidentially, It's Condon'.
The tunes are from 16" Associated radio transcriptions recorded at the Muzak
studio in New York.
8 June 1944.
"Ballin' The Jack, That's A Plenty, Cherry, Sweet Georgia Brown".
Bobby Hackett, c; Pee Wee Russell, cl; Ernie Caceres, bar; Gene Schroeder,
p; Condon, g; Bob Haggart, sb; Joe Grauso, d.

"Whenever There's Love".
Billy Butterfield (solo), Pee Wee Russell, cl; Ernie Caceres, bar; Gene
Schroeder, p; Condon, g; unknown sb & d. Hackett may be present.

"What's New".
Billy Butterfield (solo), Bobby Hackett, c; Pee Wee Russell, cl; Ernie
Caceres, bar; Gene Schroeder, p; Condon, g; Bob Haggart, sb; Joe Grauso, d.
Benny Morton may be present.

"Ja-Da".
Bobby Hacket (solo), t; Billy Butterfield, t; Benny Morton, tb; Pee Wee
Russell, cl; Ernie Caceres, bar; Gene Schroeder, p; Condon, g; Bob Haggart,
sb; Joe Grauso, d.

"Royal Garden Blues".
Billy Butterfield, t; Benny Morton, tb; Pee Wee Russell, cl; Ernie Caceres,
bar; Gene Schroeder, p; Condon, g; Bob Haggart, sb; Joe Grauso, d.

All 15 titles (including alternates and breakdowns) from the above session
are on Stash ST-CD-530 (which I have). I started to listen to and check the
above, but gave up. Too many interruptions!

24 Oct 1944. (Condon inaudible on most titles from this session.)
"It's Been So Long".
Ed Hall, cl; Jess Stacy, p; Bob Haggart, sb; George Wettling, d.

"Sugar".
Max Kaminsky, t; Lou McGarity, tb; Pee Wee Russell, cl; Jess Stacy, p; Bob
Haggart, sb; George Wettling, d. This title also on Stash ST-CD-530.

"Back in your Own Backyard, Back Home in Indiana".
Max Kaminsky, t; Lou McGarity, tb; Ernie Caceres, cl; Jess Stacy, p; Eddie
Condon, g; Bob Haggart, sb; George Wettling, d.

Apart from "Sugar", I do not think that the other titles have been reissued
on CD.

Decca  BML  8518. 'George Gershwin Jazz Concert'.
You did not mention this in your  earlier email query, but here are the
details I have. The Dec 1944 sides were recorded as part of a larger package
by Milt Gabler (the owner/producer of Commodore Records) for World
transcriptions at the Brunswick studios. (Gabler worked for them too!) Some
titles were leased to Decca. There is some dispute regarding the Dec 1944
dates, but I believe the following to be correct.

"The Man I Love, S'wonderful". 12 Dec 1944.
Bobby Hackett, c; Billy Butterfield, Max Kaminsky, t; Jack Teagarden, tb;
Pee Wee Russell, cl; Ernie Caceres, bar; Gene Schroeder, p; Eddie Condon, g;
Bob Haggart, sb; George Wettling, d; Lee Wiley, v.

14 Dec 1944.
"Someone To Watch Over Me, Somebody Loves Me".
Same personnel.
Also on Jazzology JCD-101/102.

17 May 1945.
My One and Only, I'll Build A Stairway To Paradise".
Bobby Hackett, c; Billy Butterfield, Yank Lawson, t; Lou McGarity, tb; Ed
Hall, cl; Joe Dixon, bar; Joe Buskin, p; Eddie Condon, g; Sid Weiss, sb;
George Wettling, d.

14 June 1945.
"Oh, Lady be Good*, Swanee**".
Billy Butterfield**, Max Kaminsky*, t; Lou McGarity, tb; Joe Dixon, cl; Jess
Stacy, p; Eddie Condon, g; Jack Lesberg, sb; Johnny Blowers, d.

All on Classics CD 1033 (I have this). All also on GRP Decca  GRD-637 (which
I have) but with previously unissued takes of "Someone To Watch Over Me,
I'll Build A Stairway To Paradise".

Very kind regards,
Bill.