[Dixielandjazz] charts

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Sep 3 17:07:05 PDT 2004

daveplaysthepiano at hotmail.com writes:

> As a sophisticated listener I'm left shaking my head.
>
> If you can't rehearse, use charts, at least a chord chart.
>
> Dave

I extend that one step further Dave,  "If you can't make the rehearsal don't
make the gig"
the guy or gal who can't at least put that much into the gig obviously is too
booked up and too busy to be a contributing member in my show anyway.

If I can't be sure of the band that is going to show up and what caliber of
show they will put on the stage I put them on, I don't book them, I have always
had a professional policy to deliver what I sold. Not something close enough
for Jazz, which is a lazy players way of getting out of being professional and
earning their money, and has contributed greatly to the downward spire of
financial respect and remuneration afforded to most jazz musicians today.

There is a time and place for everything and the place for a Jam session is
not on a Paid gig where the buyer is expecting to get their money's worth and
what they thought they bought, not just what the group of often unprepared
misfits decide onstage to pass off on    the unsuspecting audience just to get a
payday.

In the early days of the Musicians Union when bands almost all worked from
the bandleaders book of charts they got into the habit of hiring anybody who was
in the union for the instrument they wanted, because it was generally
accepted that he was of professional caliber and could read and play the charts.

When it started to backfire on the union is when they started expanding their
memberships and allowing any person with an instrument to join the union who
had the initiation fee with almost no regard to his or her actual
professionalism as a player.

They should have made a separate distinctive category then and there for
Entertainers, some of whom could play an instrument in total mediocrity instead of
just sending these folks out as Professional musicians.  Eventually the Smart
Entertainers stopped playing instruments so much and hired top players to
back them up and make them sound better.

Unfortunately for many of the musicians, the Entertainers became much more
popular to the audiences who became fans of the entertainers rather than the
musicians, which caused a lot of animosity towards Entertainers and Singers who
could not play worth a diddly.  The war has never ceased to this day.

Good Musicians are a dime a dozen in the eyes of the Entertainers and are
often treated that way.  The fact however remains that there are indeed far more
good musicians than Good Entertainers in the marketplace so the Entertainers
have the advantage of commanding the big bucks while many musicians are
starving for a gig and undercutting each other daily just to get on a stage and play.

That is why there are so many DJs working what used to be live jazz gigs
folks.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins