[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Intellectuals

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri Sep 3 10:46:10 PDT 2004

Sadly that's true.  Dixie is both for listening and having a good time both in moderation.  We have a Jazz club here in my town and many of the mid level musicians won't have anything to do with them because they get more fun out of picking groups apart than in trying to support what they are doing.  That's sad.  I played with a group at one of the traditional Jazz festivals over 2 days.   They used the book that I now own with about 150 original Dixie arrangements, many by Zep Meisner.  We got trashed because we were reading.  The group was made up of some of the better players in town and these arrangements are killer tunes and they were performed well.  I really think this is sad.  The kicker is that almost none of them play anything just set around and criticize.