[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 20, Issue 48

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 09:27:07 PDT 2004

Hi Jim:

Nice post it's always good to hear from those of you who don't contribute too
often.

Making IT. in this business comes in many variations for certain.  We all can
and often do define Making it in our own way.

I believe that Having Made It in this business is actually Doing exactly what
you want to do where you want to and enjoying it while getting paid
reasonably well for your contributions and earning the respect of those who enjoy your
musical offerings enough to purchase your music and hopefully share it with
others.

Some artists reach for the Stars and never make it but they keep on trying as
that is their dream of Making It.  Many others do exactly what you are doing
and enjoy themselves and feel rewarded just as well.  Sometimes bigger
opportunities open up for artists to move up another rung or two or even the top of
the ladder, some choose to step up and others prefer to remain where they are
because they are happy with life the way it is, not a problem at all.

None of us have control over Making IT in the Big Superstar category, that
takes a dedicated team of highly skilled professionals for most artists that we
see achieve those heights in the business.  Unfortunately the artist's musical
talent really is only about 10% of the equation, getting up that ladder takes
a lot of hard work by the right folks at the right time for about 15 years
and then the artist wakes up one morning and discovers that they are an
Overnight Success.

I am a firm believer that opportunity knocks more than once, it knocks
everyday, it is up to us to get up and answer the door and make the decision whether
or not to accept it, performing in upscale venues where affluent patrons hang
out is always a good way for artists to expand and advance their financial
opportunities.  Money follows Money, and you NEVER know who is in the audience
who might like to assist you.

Keep doing what you like Jim as long as you enjoy it and it makes you and
those around you happy, I believe that is indeed our blessed mission in life and
we are so lucky to be able to bring joy to so many people and have so much fun
doing it.

It is indeed a pleasure to meet another listmate who is happy at what they do
in our business, no matter how high you climb up the ladder You have already
"MADE IT," and are enjoying it keep it up my friend.  If you get a big break
and go even higher so be it you are doing the right thing keeping your chops up
and listening for your name.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins