[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in coffee houses (was: Another NY TIMES Jazz Review)

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sun Oct 31 09:11:26 PST 2004

Hi all,
As was mentioned in a recent posting by Dan Augustine about the Lu
Watters tribute last week - there is an OKOM band that has played a
"coffee-house" gig for many years now - Clint Baker's NOJB regular
Friday nights at Café Borrone, Menlo Park CA. The usually  large
audience is a mix of ages (as is the band) and the music is very
traditional New Orleans style. Good food and beverages, indoor and
outside seating - lots better than a smokey bar or some cheezy pizza
parlor, IMHO.

I don't know why this kind of successful gig has not been duplicated in
other cities - it certainly is a bright spot on the bay Area jazz
scene!

Dave Richoux