[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Thu Oct 21 20:33:54 PDT 2004

Dear Brian and Mates,
Contrary to popular reports, only one third of patients with syphilis
actually go on to the tertiary, lethal stage of the disease. It is not
infectious after the first two stages, which are over within about two years
of  the primary infection. Reinfection is  uncommon. Therefore many of the
whores in Storyville would not have been infectious if they had been in
business for a few years and, as far as I have been able to ascertain, not
many jazz players died of the disease, but syphilis is known as"The Great
Imitator", and diagnosIs and case reporting were far from perfect in those
days.
Scott Joplin died in New York of  tertiary syphilis (paresis) in 1917, but
was probably infected in  Sedalia in the 1890s. If you are interested in a
discussion of  syphilis and the infections, or not, of  Buddy Bolden, Louis
Chauvin, Tony Jackson, Scott Joplin, Charlie Parker, and  Lester Young, it
is all in my book, "Jazz and Death. Medical Profiles of Jazz
Greats". Regards.
Fred