[Dixielandjazz] ARCHITECTURE & JAZZ AT LINCOLN CENTER

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 21 08:55:41 PDT 2004

on 10/21/04 10:30 AM, Jazzjerry at aol.com at Jazzjerry at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 21/10/04 15:00:50, barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

>>Rafael Viñoly's new design for Jazz at Lincoln Center has a cool ethereality
>>that lifts it above the mediocrity of its setting. It's a reminder that some
>>experiences become more intimate when they are shared in full public view. >>

>How come architecture critics seem to write even more pretentious bollocks
>than jazz critics? Have read the articale I do get the impression that he is
>not too keen on the Time-Warner shops and restaurants underneath.

>It would be far more useful for anyone attending an event in the place if Mr
>OUROUSSOFF could have commented on the acoustic properties, whether there were
>enough loos (male and female) to cater for the usual interval rush, what the
>wheelchair access was like and maybe even the place was properly signposted so
>that you ended up in the right concert room and maybe even seat plus other
>'real' issues without waffling on about the aesthetic values and other such
>crap. What the hell does it matter what sort of views one gets (to quote,"At
>night, the view dissolves into a spectacular series of overlapping images. A
>soft curtain of light descends over the stage, evoking veil-like clouds of
>smoke."

>if the music sounds like it is being played in a tim can and you have to
>spend the entire interval standing in a queue for the urinals with your legs
>crossed.

Hi Jerry & Listmates:

Yes, I agree, however this is an architect's review, not a musical review.
The musical reviews from the Times and CBS were posted a few days ago. The
sound issues etc., are real and were discussed therein.

The interesting message, to me at least, is that JAZZ and Jazz at Lincoln
Center are generating a heck of a lot of media publicity, much of it to be
read by the jazz oblivious, which is a great thing for the health of the
genre. IMO, there is more interest in Jazz now, in the USA, from the year
2000 forward than at any time in the past 30 years or so. Perhaps jazz will
become "IN" once again.

It behooves the jazz bands in the USA to piggy back on this publicity and
place references in our programs to Mr. Marsalis' efforts and that of NYC,
to grow that interest. If there is indeed, a jazz wave forming, we should
catch it rather than watch it go by without us.

For example, all of Barbone Street's promo mailers, email, snail mail,
direct communication etc., to promoters, venues and fans, now reference what
is currently happening in NYC. We see it as a giant step towards increasing
the audience for jazz music, as well as more bottom line business for us.

I personally also see the Marsalis, Lincoln Center effort, (placed on
swinging & dancing), as a good thing for the genre in that, if successful,
it will lead the music back to it's original function and out of the
wilderness of elitist pseudo intellectualism. Result? More audience.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone