[Dixielandjazz] The cats out of the bag!!

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Mon Oct 18 12:44:18 PDT 2004

Actually that has been going on for years in rock circles.  In LA, for
instance, the owner of a club will charge the up and coming (?) Rock or
Country Band X dollars to play.  The band then sells the tickets to
their fans (friends and relatives, etc) and everyone is happy.  I am
afraid that many of our Rock colleagues don't understand the concept.
Now that I think about it, the same concept works for many of OKOM
bands that play cruises, they get a discount to go on the cruise and
play music.  A discount is not the same as being paid for your
contribution to the profits that the cruise company makes.  Again they
don't understand the concept.  Gene Bolen, who many of you know, used
to call these OKOM bands "Tee Shirt" bands.  They would print up their
tee shirts, play for free or for a reduced fee and sell their tee
shirts to crack their nut.  HMMMMM!
I was trained to be a professional and while the market has shrunk and
the fees have not kept up with inflation, I still refuse to compromise
my values in that we charge for what we do.  The electric company
doesn't give the electricity away to power my Ipod.  The gas companies
don't give away their products, as we, in California, are now paying
$2.50 a gallon and my wife's Chevron stock has gone through the roof,
as they are making obscene profits and not a word from the traveling
"White House."  Again, HMMMMM!

later,

> Oh my, the cat is out of the bag. Now it's just a question of time
> before US
> OKOM Festivals charge the bands for the privilege of playing. :-) VBG.

Randy Fendrick,
Southside Chicago Seven
Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra