[Dixielandjazz] Classics & Jazz

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 12:47:20 PDT 2004

"Craig I. Johnson" <civanj at adelphia.net> wrote (polite snip)

> Another, but in the pop veinm I remember from way back, but not who did it was
> "Dingbat, the Singing Cat" which was the theme from "Peter and the Wolf:
> by Peter Illyich of the Tchaikovky persuasion.

That other Russian, Prokofiev wrote Peter and the Wolf.

Speaking of Peter Illyich Tchaikovsky did anyone mention Duke Ellington's
jazz adaptation of "Nutcracker"? Or his adaptation of Edvard Greig's Peer
Gynt Suite which included a very jazzy "Hall of the Mountain King"?

Say, isn't this kind of thing the real "classic" jazz? ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone